Tuesday, March 4, 2014

EosinoWTF is that and why do we have to deal with it?

Yes, I am turning this into a whinefest for myself.
So I have totally sucked with the posting thing, again, but its been a little insane here.  Like more than normalish at least.

I have repeatedly tried to not make this become an allergy-mom type blog.  For one thing, there are lots and lots of them out there, with many of them far more knowledgeable and reliable than I think I am!  But there is a big denial thing there too, I keep hoping that we will not have to deal with it eventually which is uber dumb.  But life has a funny way of teaching you lessons.  I kept hoping that the Beans would outgrow his allergies because he is so little, and I can always ignore mine (until, you know, I can't) but then the other kid goes and screws things up.

Meatball has been having a really hard time with a lot of things, one of which is oodles of stomach issues.  Lots of medical bills, doctors appointments, pints of blood and confusion later we have a diagnosis of Eosinophilic Esophagitis.  In other words -- allergic esophagus.

Yep, more freaking allergies.  Of the rare and only just barely being understood in the medical community variety.  Oh yay, so glad we can be cutting edge.  We are soooo bad ass.  *Facepalm!*

This variation of sibling rivalry is entirely unacceptable!  Stop trying to one-up your brother dammit!!!

So we are standing on the precipice of an elimination diet because MY kid couldn't just bloody well test for his allergens.  Nooooo, he has to be difficult and even more rare than an EoE diagnosis is to begin with and his allergens don't show up on either a scratch test OR in blood work.  So the end result is an elimination diet of all of the Top Eight -- egg, dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, tree nut, peanut, fish, and shellfish -- for an astounding 16 weeks.  At which point they will re-scope his esophagus and biopsy for eosinophils (white blood cells that can kiss my youknowwhat) and if he is clean we can introduce one of the top eight foods at a time.  He will likely never get back to gluten or dairy, but the first thing we will try when we get to reintro is soy.  Because soy is in effing everything.  Seriously.

Anyway, allergy crap and recipes will likely just be a bigger way of life here.  I was trying to keep it off of here because I figured no one wants to read it, but the fact is most of my blog posts that get repinned are my allergy related ones.  I know when I find something that I can relate to I am about as all over it as I would be Tom Hidddleston if he were int he same room as me.  Mmmmmmmm ... sorry, got distracted! What were we talking about?  Oh yeah.  That.

As a side note, did you know that NONE of the cookies peddled by little girls sporting patches are gluten free.  WTF?

The good news is, I have ever more reasons now to get the Vitamix I irrationally keep hoping my husband will buy me.  I mean, there is no logical reason to assume he will purchase a $400 blender, I do our freaking budget, man, and short of him turning ricks or selling a kidney I just don't see it happening.  But I girl can hope right?  It is medically necessary for both children that I have a kick ass blender gracing my kitchen, right?  I say so.  

It is either that OR Tom Hiddleston.  I won't settle for less.


Quick explanation of EoE if you are new to the term, which is entirely possible.  Keep in mind, I am no doctor and I am still very much learning!
EoE is an inflammatory condition thought to be caused by an allergic reaction.  The eosinophils, or white blood cells that line your esophagus go crazy with reproducing and cause all sorts of lovely symptoms that can range from miserable reflux, difficulty swallowing or lots of pain.  It is usually diagnosed via endoscopy (an EGD which is an insanely long word that is fun to say but I am unsure how to spell so I will stick with the abbreviation) and they spot lines or rings in your esophagus that basically constrict causing some of those lovely symptoms.  Happens to adults, and kids, more common in males and is treated with GERD medications like PPIs (proton pump inhibitors), steroids, and avoiding whatever it is you are allergic to.  Which is really easy, if you can figure out whatever it is you are freaking allergic to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment