Tuesday, July 24, 2012

so easy a monkey could do it

You know how you see those pins all the time proclaiming that this insanely delicious looking dish is sooo easy to put together?  Yeah, I pin those hoping for the best every time.

Then I prove those bitches wrong!

Unfortunately it is not an intentional bit of proof, but hey, I accept my failures with as much grace as I can muster.  Here is a fine example.

Have you seen this beauty?  All its mouth watering goodness seems not only affordably simple, but freaking delicious.  I mean the only fantasy missing here is my hot cabana boy giving me a massage and chocolate ... but I digress.  This lovely little ditty can be found at The Jones Way blog and it seemed so do-able that I just had to pin it, and when Grands Biscuits went on sale at Fry's for 10 for $10 it got my cheap side werkin' with my sweet tooth and I just hoped it would all work out for the best.

So I bought my supplies not already in stock and set out to accomplish the seemingly impossible task of a successful baking pin.

Recipe and instructions c&p'd from the link:


Sticky Bun Breakfast Ring

2 small tubes refrigerator buttermilk biscuits OR 1 tube Pillsbury Grands buttermilk biscuits 
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 C. pancake syrup (any brand you like, I used Mrs. Buttersworth)
1/3 C. packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 C. chopped pecans, optional
1/4 C. chopped almonds, optional

Instructions:
Spray a fluted pan with non-stick spray. Combine the melted butter and syrup in a small bowl and set aside. In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts (if desired). Place about half of the syrup mixture in the bottom of the pan. Then sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture on top. Lay the biscuits on the bottom of the pan, overlapping edges (closely together) to form a ring. Top with remaining syrup and sugar mixtures. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute in the pan, then invert onto a serving platter and enjoy!

So I got to work, after buying a bunt pan because I didn't actually own one.  I followed all the directions she gave with one, small exception (Well, two if you count the not adding the nuts.  We are nuts enough, don't need to add them to our baked goods.) I totally figured I could add ALL of the biscuits to the pan.  There is plenty of room in there, the more the merrier, right?

For the record, if you do this, you will probably not get all the biscuits cooked all the way through.  Then when you "dump" the sticky bun ring out you will panic and realize it is like 60% raw, and then be faced with the impossible task of shoving it all back into the pan or accepting complete failure.  

Not that I, like, know that for sure or anything ... um ... well just in case you ever need to know, you can shove all those sticky raw biscuits back into the pan for like another ten minutes or so while fervently praying over your oven and it will work.  Perhaps the top is a bit crispier than the original baker intended, but it passed muster with my crew.  

Here is Meatball adding the first set of ingredients, so easy a
ten year old can do it ...

Stuffed as many of the biscuits in there as possible ... bad idea.

Add some more good stuff to the top because, well, because.

First round of baking done! Thinking I was totally awesomesauce
I took it out ... then discovered the horrible truth ...

After I stuck it all back in the pan with as much delicacy
as I could muster, without getting caught, it cooked all the way through.
Yay!

So, while not a complete failure because the end result did work, it wasn't exactly a success either I suppose.  But I won't tell if you won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment